This Mother’s Day, celebrate investing in your future
This Mother's Day, Houston Back On Track celebrates mothers investing in their future by working towards a rewarding, life-long career to give their families a better life. Thanks to our community and employment partners, these moms and our other clients have access to soft-skills training, certification programs and career coaching, ultimately putting them on track toward meaningful employment.
While mothers work to secure themselves and their family's futures, they can also count on our community partners to lend a hand. In addition to career services, many offer wrap-around services to make the journey easier. Here are a few ways our partners dedicate their resources to clients:
Memorial Assistance Ministries (MAM) Houston
- Rent & Utility Assistance – Many mothers we help along their career journey endure financial burdens. To offset this reality, MAM offers financial assistance to clients struggling to pay bills.
- Transportation Assistance – MAM supplies gas vouchers or metro money to facilitate travel to work, job interviews, or medical appointments. MAM partners in "Cycle2Success," which makes bicycles available to those who need regular transportation to work.
Wesley Community Center
- Early Childhood Education – Selecting a childcare provider is one of the most important decisions a mother makes in the early years of her child's life. Wesley Community Center provides access to high-quality early childhood education programs with hands-on learning for low-income families.
- Food Pantry – Wesley Community Center also offers a food pantry for clients and their families.
Houston Area Urban League (HAUL)
- Pre-purchase Homebuyer Education Workshop – HAUL's housing department assists clients with its First-Time Homebuyer and Housing Program. The program takes one year and gives them the knowledge and tools necessary to prepare for the home-buying process.
- Financial Education Workshops – HAUL understands that their heir clients can change their financial trajectory by improving their financial literacy. HAUL educates families about basic money management, goal setting, understanding your money, developing and maintaining a budget, building savings, using credit/debit and managing credit.
Watch the latest video celebrating Rosie Huerta, a mother and client of MAM who completed several healthcare education programs to improve her family's quality of life. Rosie received CNA, Phlebotomy and PTC certifications to increase her hourly salary to over $20 per hour. Houston Back On Track supports mothers and any community member seeking to start their journey to a new career. Get started today!